"Balclutha" at 17 Como Street, Alphington, was built c1889 for Peter Fanning. At the time, Alphington was part of Heidelberg. Fanning was properous during the 1850s to 1878, was elected to the Heidelberg Road Board in 1868, the Shire Council in 1871 and to the Shire Presidency in 1877. The house is possibly a design of the architects, Twentyman and Askew, Fanning living there until his death in 1905. The second owner was fruit merchant, Edwin Mason. It has been classified by The National Trust.
LHRN 1011. The Melbourne Times October 16th 1991. Collins Simms real estate agents. Butler, Graeme. Northcote: City of Northcote Urban Conservation Study. Volume 1 - Buildings and Structures. 1983.