Hotels - Alphington - Alphington Hotel (1861-1980s)Place
The Alphington Hotel first appeared in the records in 1861, run by Thomas Freeman. Freeman could not have been a good publican as the Licencing Board revoked his licence and passed it on to Joseph Foulkes. As was common at the time, when Foulkes died, the licence was granted to his wife Abigail. It finally passed out of her hands in 1902. After that the licence was to change at very regular intervals, indicating that the hotel was a probably ‘a bit rough’. It was not until A. C. Toussaint took over the hotel in 1960 that the hotel settled down. By 1970 the hotel had grown to include, a beer garden, club lounge, saloon bar, public bar, lounge and dance floor. Unfortunately these changes were insufficient to prevent its closure and demolition in the late 1980s. A retail wine seller currently operates from the site.
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. (Manuscript) Darebin Libraries. Local History File: Hotels. Edge, Gary. Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne. Darebin Libraries. 2004.