Hotels - Thomastown - Belmont Hotel (c1859 - 1990s)Place
The Belmont Hotel began life prior to 1859 as a small hotel on the very outskirts of the district of Preston. It mainly catered to local farmers and passing trade. It briefly enjoyed a moment of fame between 1865 and 1867 when it was the headquarters of the Epping District Roads Board. The road board was the earliest form of local government in the area. Within a few years the towns of Northcote and Preston separated from the Epping District Roads Board and formed their own local government bodies. The remnants of the Board formed the Shire of Darebin (now the City of Whittlesea), with the publican of the Belmont Hotel, Peter McCoy, serving as its Shire President for five terms. The hotel was demolished, sometime in the 1990s, to enable the construction of the Western Ring Road.
Cole, Robert K. Index of Hotels 1841 – 1949. (Manuscript) Darebin Libraries. Local History File: Hotels. Edge, Gary. Surviving the six o’clock swill: a history of Darebin’s hotels. Melbourne. Darebin Libraries. 2004.
See These Related Items: Images:
Click an image to see full size in a new window.