Schools- Tyler Street State School (No. 1494) - 1895-Place
The first school opened in Tyler Street in January 1875 with Mr. Andrew Hanna as the first headmaster. It replaced the Weslyean and Anglican schools in the area, which closed at the end of 1874.
By 1878 the school had 188 students on its roll, but suffered from vandalism and by the late 1880s had fallen into a state of disrepair. In the early 1890s the school merged with the Gowerville State School.
The building was replaced in 1895 and had grown to nearly 1,000 students by 1935.
The Leader; jubilee issue september 6, 1935 Wood, John. The tradition's beginnings: 1840-1902. Preston, 1986
See These Related Items: Images:
Click an image to see full size in a new window.